Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Favorite Saint

My favorite saint is Saint Dymphna. I love her because when I first read about her, in second grade, we had an instant connection. We were both Irish! I was ecstatic because I love my heritage and at that age anything Irish was absolutely wonderful. When I read about her I was shocked a father could do such a thing to his only daughter. I was immensely proud of her for sticking up for what she wanted and not what her father wanted, which was wrong.

Her mother died when she was fourteen and her father was determined to find a wife just like her. But he could not so he went to the person closest to his wife, Dymphna. Dymphna wanted to be a nun and to be a nun you mustn't marry anyone but God. She told her distress to her priest friend, so they fled to Belgium to escape her wretched father. Sadly, they were discovered. Her father Damon, ordered Dymphna's priest friend to be beheaded. He still wanted to marry her, but she reluctantly refused. The order of her beheading came because she was strong in her beliefs.  Her feast day is May 15th and she is the patron saint of those with mental illnesses and nervous people.


St. Mary's School- 8th Grade

Bellevue, NE


No comments: